Sunday, January 5, 2014

Best Books from 2013!

      2013 has been a huge year for me. It has been filled with transitions, big events, and times where I have really needed to think about what is important to my life. I have found that through all of these changes, reading has been a huge outlet for me to relieve stress and relax. I have found myself reading much more than  I have ever before and I have also found myself being exposed to types of literature that I had never read before. Overall, my favorite book of 2013 has been Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult.
      Plain Truth is an incredible story about Katie, an Amish teen that is suspected for the murder of a dead baby found in her family's barn. This book is so suspenseful and filled with exciting moments. When a book is 450 pages, it can be quite hard to hold my attention for the whole time. This book did a great job of always having sudden findings in the case that would snap my attention back to the story. Picoult did a great job of knowing exactly when to have these moments appear just when the story had been getting a bit boring. This book also used elements of the criminal justice system throughout the story and exposed me to other ways of life. Plain Truth is my favorite book that's read in 2013 because of its ability to capture my interest and make me feel like I was in the world of the story
      2013 has allowed me to explore many different genres and I found that I enjoyed books that I never thought I would like before. Recently I read Red edited by Amy Goldwasser. Red is a collection of personal letters written by teenagers about countless topics. This book was really meaningful because I knew that these incredible stories didn't just come from an authors mind, but from actual experiences that these girls went through and survived. Another one of my favorite books from this last year was Sold by Patricia McCormick. It is about a young girl who is sold into prostitution by her family. It's was so interesting because the main character, Lakshmi, lives in a society where this is considered normal. I loved how this book was told in verse which made it unique and more graceful than other books, although that may sound weird. These were two more books that I really enjoyed reading in 2013.
     Overall I had a jam packed reading life in 2013. I found myself turning to reading whenever I needed to calm down or just be alone. I read more meaningful books and forced myself to think deeply about the books that I read before shoving them away, which was one of my reading resolutions last year.  In the new year, I hope to continue reading meaningful, more mature books. I also hope to expose myself to many more genres and authors. 2013 was very successful for me and I hope that I can use the reading experience that I gained to help me in the coming year!

No comments:

Post a Comment