Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Young Adult Literature Improving Empathy in Readers

            The article “Reading Fiction ‘Improves Empathy’ Study Finds” by Alison Flood discusses the idea that many young adult books can improve the way that teens think about life and valuable lessons. She focuses on both the Harry Potter series by J.K Rowling and the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. The article explains how books can allow for readers to enter an alternate world where they don’t need to worry about what others will think. “Books provide the opportunity for social connection and the blissful calm that comes from becoming a part of something larger that oneself for a precious fleeting moment.” Additionally, the article brings up the idea that reading a book can allow for a reader to experience and understand topics from a perspective that they had never been exposed to before. “In fiction, also, we are able to understand characters’ actions from their interior point of view, by entering into their situations and minds rather than the more exterior view of them that we usually have.” She concludes the article by discussing the fact that empathy is a very important part of society and that fiction reading can really change people and their outlook. “It is a result that shows that reading fiction improves understanding of others and this has a very basic importance in society, not just in the general way of making that world a better place, but in specific areas such as politics, business, and education.”
            Alison Flood uses many craft moves throughout her article to help make the article more understandable and meaningful for readers. One thing that she does is that she focuses in on two specific pieces that really can allow the reader to pull out details instead of leaving the context too broad to understand. She also uses vocabulary that is very sweet and meaningful which makes reading the article a deeper experience. Some examples are, blissful, precious, submerge, and satisfaction. Lastly, the author uses a knowledgeable tone which lets the reader know that they are getting reliable information from someone who knows what they are talking about and that enjoys what they are doing.
            In conclusion, I completely agree with Alison Flood’s point of view. I honestly believe that reading a book can make you feel so many emotions. It can make you cry, smile, laugh, and overall, just think about your outlook on everything. I agree with the fact that reading is a private way for young adults to learn and understand topics in their own way and that it can be a method for getting through a hard time. This past week was a very hard week for me and I didn’t really know what I was supposed to do to make myself feel better about all the sadness around me. I had never really had to cope with a loss before, but I realized that it helped me personally to get lost in a book. Personally, I believe that reading can definitely improve empathy in young adults and make you feel ways that you never have before.


1 comment:

  1. I really liked your first paragraph. You included a lot of quotes, and explained them really well. You also made your post stronger by connecting it to yourself. This was a really good post!

    ReplyDelete